”Ethics” simply means the code of conduct or a manner in which a person should behave according to respective field for example a student needs to have different ethics, HR ethics for human resource department, marketing ethics for marketing.
Basically it is the individual, the consumer, the employee or society who benefits from ethics. In addition ethics is important because of the following:
- It Satisfies Basic Human Needs: Every person wants a fair and honest behaviour from his organisation without any bias.
- Helps in Creating Credibility: An organization that is following some moral values is respected in the society even by those who may have no information about the working and the businesses or an organization. Infosys, for example is perceived as an organization for good corporate governance and social responsibility initiatives.
- Uniting People and Leadership: An organization posses some values is referred by its employees also. They are the common link that brings the employees and the decision makers on a common platform.
- Improves Decision Making. Decisions which are taken in organisations are based on values. For example an organization that does not value competition will be fierce in its operations aiming to remove its competitors and establish a monopoly in the market.
- Results in Long Term Gains: Organizations guided by ethics and values are profitable in the long run, as employees turnover will be less and they retain for years in any organisation.
- Secures society:When any organisation works according to business ethics chances of customer dissatisfaction, low quality products and services will be less.
It is believed by many Scholars that when law fails to stop an organisation or person from doing something wrong it is ethics which stops person from doing wrong.
Role of work ethics for Human Resource management – Basically HRM deals with manpower planning and development activities so it is that branch where ethics really matters.As it deals with human issues such as compensation, development, industrial relations and health issues.
Globalization has brought about the concept of globalizing labor, trade unions have started to decline and the role of HR as such in issues like employee policies and practices has become a debatable topic. In fact many people are of the opinion that HR is nothing but an arm of the stakeholders through which major strategic and policy decisions are revealed.
How to develop positive work ethics ?
- Right Approach & Respect for others.
- It involves morality and values.
- Precise behaviour & Focus on Lively Communication.
- Cultivate Self Discipline.
- Practice Punctuality.
TALENT IS A GIFT, BUT YOUR ATTITUDE WORK ETHIC, AND CHARACTER ARE THINGS YOU HAVE TO BUILD ON YOUR ON.